Saturday, December 31, 2011

Comin' Alive

The Wasatch Mountains

I'm combining my overdue update with one of my nostalgic reflections marking the end of something I've chosen to define, in this case: 2011. It's a wordy one, so if you're here for the photos, I'm afraid the above is all I'm giving you right now.



The update:
I've been in Park City about a month now. I love it. This is the first time I've moved somewhere completely new to start fresh. Berkeley and Paris were different, I had the safety net of school, of the dorms. Here, yes I have work, but it's much more independent than the structure of a school program.

As a ski instructor "apprentice" I had a week of training before being sent out onto the mountain. Everyone in my apprentice class has a cool story. There's a lot of recent college grads and a lot of people who were working in serious jobs, decided they hated it, and pursued a way more awesome job experience. For those of you shaking your heads at my ski bum status, get this: I'm getting paid to ski and play all day. It's pretty mind-blowing if you really think about it. I go home every day with a smile on my face. I love my job and the people I work with.

I think this is exactly what I needed. I definitely hit a rut being in Berkeley for so long working for free and then doing nothing. Being home exacerbated that listlessness in me. But now I've thrown myself into this awesome adventure, living in the moment, and loving every moment of it. I can see myself getting stuck here a while, but I do need to keep in mind my ultimate goals and dreams. I have plans after the new year to introduce myself to the local paper and Deer Valley's PR department. It'll be a grassroots movement.

The Reflection:
I'm in awe that it's almost another year, partly because my sense of time is so warped by this "hell week" of a holiday season, what day is it?

So 2011, what will I remember from you? My last semester of undergrad, I really came into my own there, 2 classes and I didn't get straight As. There were many poor decisions that I probably wouldn't do differently if I got to live it again. Well, maybe the whole played out saga of me and the winner, even if he did provide entertainment value. My first trip to Vegas, and yes I will admit it's my favorite city. I guess I should recognize graduation, that's kind of a big deal, even if our general commencement ceremony seemed to not culminate into anything. Then there was THAILAND slash one of my more eye opening travel experiences. Thailand showed me the value of being happy, of taking some time to figure things out. It doesn't have to be go go go all of the time. Which brings me back to the now of my move to Park City (weird, I live in Utah, WEIRD).

I think I'll say 2011 was a good year, and if 2012 will be my last since the world is scheduled to end, it better top this one in epic proportions. I'm excited to be celebrating in Park City, to not have LA club pressure on my plans, and for my hangover come Sunday.

Oh, and if you're wondering what my resolutions will be? I've decided on a 365 project through my iPhone, I'm really getting into this whole "to go" photography medium. So look for me on instagr.am (lvbrucker). I'll also throw in the whole Plan A thing (catch my drift?).

See you in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment