Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dog Days are Done

Lake Tahoe, taken from the South Shore

Second trip to Tahoe this semester, snowier than the last. 



I'm putting this below the fold in case no one really wants to read it. I'm currently putting off reading the history of Europe of the twentieth century in favor of updating this blog, and I got to thinking about my semester.

I was asked recently how it (my semester) went. My response, "well," which is true, but not because of school. Yes, at the end of this week I will manage to pull decent grades, but this semester was very much not about school. It became about doing things in Berkeley I hadn't done before, putting myself out there, looking for new experiences. I'm afraid to say, Mom and Dad, I learned more from my Raleigh's Tap Card than I did in my Anthropology of Folklore lecture. The only real academic highlight of this semester was the two part Impressionist exhibition at the DeYoung - talk about connecting a real world experience to the classroom. 

This semester also became about THE FUTURE, or as I like to call it, the black abyss after graduation in May. "What will you do with your life?" was commonly asked of me. Good question. Right now my answer is to find a job, preferably related to becoming a professional photographer, based in San Francisco for at least a year. I figure I'll give myself a year to figure out where to go from wherever I end up in May to wherever I see myself in the next couple of years. I feel like there is so much I want to do that I don't even know I want to do yet, it's daunting.

However, for the first time all semester, my FUTURE is looking a little less blank. I have two internships lined up for the spring, both relating to journalism and photography. I couldn't be more excited to come back to school. Again, not necessarily for the classroom, but what lies outside of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment