Thursday, November 17, 2011

No doubt

View of Downtown LA from 600 Spring St.

With so much time to think, a large portion of my efforts goes towards the future. Not my next six months having the time in Park City, but my real future. Driving around LA makes me think of the entertainment industry. How cool would it be to be a producer for TV? A Director of Photography for the movies? Or even working more full time in Park City, enjoying the outdoors, doing freelance work. But then I'll click on something like this, the entries for National Geographic's annual photo contest. And I actually want to cry the photos are so good. Look at 27, just AMAZING.

I read this article written by a photojournalist about pursuing a career in the field. He said if you can think of anything other than photojournalism that you're good at and would be happy doing, do that instead. He said photojournalism was more of a calling than anything else, and that it took a certain kind of person to work their nose to the grindstone in order to make a living through it. There are lots of things I can think of that I possess the skill set for that I could be happy doing. But there's this always been this pull towards photography, ever since 9th grade when I developed that first roll of film. The pull keeps getting stronger. So I've realized I can't be one of those 50-something moms who once had a dream, let it go, ends up having some mid-life crisis, and turns around to realize she didn't do what she loved, actually passionately loved. Because if all else fails with this whole me becoming a photojournalist, at least I'd have tried, at least there'd have been some passion, some hardship.

At least I'd have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment