Sunday, September 26, 2010

In Awe of the Acropolis

 The Acropolis by night

In Athens we stayed in Athens Backpackers' Hostel, another conveniently located and friendly staffed spot. Our first two nights we were in a four person private apartment, with our own bathroom, a kitchenette, and a balcony. 

Athens was an interesting city, it reminded me a little of Rome, with all of the ruins juxtaposed with modern buildings. It was amazing to observe people going about their business with the Acropolis in the background like it was no big deal. Although I guess after a while, that's kind of how the Eiffel Tower and the Seine were for me.

The Acropolis, hands down, was my favorite thing I've ever seen. I can't begin to explain my amazement at the Parthenon, of the Caryatids, of the view out into the Aegean. It was truly awesome. What was even more mind boggling was the fact that all of the ruins are kind of just there, you could reach out and touch them if you wanted. If the Acropolis was in America, it would be behind so much red tape, you might not even get a decent look at it.




  
Restoration construction of the Parthenon


A "Do Not Touch" sign rests on the base of a column fragment at the Temple of Zeus


No comments:

Post a Comment