Thursday, June 2, 2011

Speak softly but carry a big flash

Backdrop for ACT Gala red carpet

Last night I discovered why red carpet photographers all carry such big flashes: it's to assert their power. I'm not a huge fan of how flash looks - aesthetically - but when you put an external on a camera, it makes you look like you know what you're doing. 

I was paid to shoot the red carpet for the opening night gala of ACT "Tales of the City." The event took place in a tented venue in Union Square as well as in front of the theater a few blocks away. At first I didn't put my flash on, I didn't like the effect it produced with the backdrop and tent overhead. However, because of this, the rest of the photographers (all men by the way), probably thought I was inadequate comparatively and got in front of my shots. To be a female in the event coverage photography line takes some thick skin and big balls. Since I'm covering another event for the Chron next week, I'll have another chance to practice. 

Full gallery at SFGate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment