Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Brussels, Better Late than Never

 An airplane streaked smoke across the sky over the Grand-Place in Brussels

In the chaos of losing my credit cards and the mess that was my laptop, it took a while to sit down and concentrate on processing photos and writing. But everything is back on track, my cards have been replaced, my laptop works again, and I can finally update this - I thought I'd start with my weekend in Brussels two weeks ago.

Brussels was an interesting city, I think the best word to describe it would be confused. The old architecture is next to new buildings, the metro goes in a couple of repetitive loops (and there isn't really anyone who checks your ticket, so we rode for free the whole weekend), and the people looked just a little off. The place gave off a weird vibe. I think I'm happy I went, I probably won't be back, unless to get a waffle (they sure do those right in Belgium). I was actually surprised at how seriously Brussels was about its waffles, it was on the same level as Paris and crepes. We also spent a freezing Saturday in Bruges...maybe I'll return there when it's warmer, it was quite charming (just hard to enjoy when I couldn't feel my feet).



 
Waffles (Gaufres) at Elisabeth, Brussels

 
 
Manneken-Pis, Brussels

 
 
Two people seen through an open window on a canal in Bruges

 
 
Sign for boat tours in Bruges

No comments:

Post a Comment