Thursday, November 18, 2010

The North Arrow

 Part of a hippo skull found in D4

It was my job to document certain special finds (such as above) and architectural elements for publication in the end of season report (and any subsequent scholarly material derived from it). I had to make sure that what was being photographed was "clean" and camera ready. I thought it was funny that I had to make sure things in the dirt were clean, but apparently archaeological journals are particular and fellow archaeologists picky. Therefore, you could often see me telling supervisors to brush more dirt away from their shot; sometimes I refused to shoot if the element wasn't clean enough.

I was also responsible for having the north arrow pointing in the right direction (north), the measuring sticks straight, as well as the labeling. Most of my official photographs look like the ones above, I prefer my candid shots though.  

 Bron and company crouch on one of their walls

 Sam and Sivan hold up the head of a female figurine found in D4

Ben acts as a special find in his pit

No comments:

Post a Comment